If you’re after a deal on car insurance, you’re probably already aware that insurers use different formulas to decide what you pay. What you may not realise is that there are things you can do to lower your risk before you get to the insurance stage. Here are some tips:
1. Get married: You may be surprised at how much your premium can drop once you get married. This is because married people are considered more responsible and can therefore afford to cut back on their car insurance.
2. Raise your excess: This is the amount you pay when you make a claim. It can be as low as £100 or £250 (depending on the provider) but if you raise it above this, your premium will fall. Of course, there is an acceptable excess level that you must leave before you can make a claim.
3. GetReferences: It is vital that you get more than one reference from a number of different sources. This will allow you to see what a range of premiums are being offered by different insurance companies. Not all quotes are the same and as a result you won’t know whether it is a good idea to change your insurance provider or not.
4. Find Special Discounts: Along with getting cheaper car insurance, you can also cut your premiums by getting discounts. You can do this by going to a reputable insurance company that offers discounts based upon different things. For example, if you’re over 25 years of age, you may benefit from a lower rate. Young drivers who are new to car insurance may also get discounts. This is because many insurance companies consider them to be a high-risk group.
5. Improve your credit rating: Nowadays, many insurers consider an applicant’s credit rating to be a display of financial responsibility. They feel that those who have good credit ratings are stronger individuals and will likely be responsible for more for their car insurance. If you have a low credit rating, take moves toward raising it. Unless you want to pay more for car insurance, doing this is a good idea.
6. Learn about which discounts you qualify for: Before you begin searching for the best insurance deal, learn about the different discounts being offered by various insurers. You’ll most likely be able to qualify for a lot of discounts. No longer do those who have poor credit ratings generally get the best insurance deals. Now those who are past this threshold may benefit from discounts.
7. Compare different insurance companies: Now, you don’t have to rely on insurance companies to tell you about the deals they offer. Instead, you can easily do all the research in order to ensure you get the best deal. It is important to do comparison shopping because it gives you a cover point over what they are offering. These are just a few of the things you can do in order to get a cheap car insurance rate. If you want to get the best, however, it is necessary that you compare different companies. Only then can you be sure you got the best deal possible.